Friday, May 18, 2007

I had an epiphany!!

The other day I was talking to my Homie "Martin" and as usual, started having the conversation about the "gay christian". He recently bought a book that he swears will be the key to end his struggle and asked me if I would read it with him. Of course I obliged because I am always in the mood for reading peoples perspective on this issue but I told him that I would be reading with my red pen of skepticism. Anyway, as the conversation wore on, we both eventually fell into our usual roles. He, the Christan man struggling to be straight and me, the christian man who does not think it's necessary to change his sexual orientation. We went on for a while and that's when it hit me!

There is not a spirit that MAKES you attracted to the same sex. There are only spirits that can capitalize on issues that are already in your own heart.

Wow....what a profound thought. It's what I have been trying to articulate for so long and on that day it just came. It's as if the thought was swimming at the surface of my consciousness but has never come up for air.....until that day.

OK, so why do I feel this way is probably what people would want to know. I mean, a statement like that flies in the face of all that we have been taught and heard about this issue for so long so how did I come to this? As I have said so many times before, I grew up hating myself because I thought God hated me. I will spare anyone who is reading this and not go into that story but I will just say that the one thing that really never sat well with me was that I felt that I was being punished for something that I had no control over. As far as I was concerned, my attraction was something that was natural to me. We won't even argue the point of being born gay or it happening later because the bottom line is that at this point in my life, I am attracted to men and it is all I have ever known.

What this statement does is take the burden off of the person to change their sexual orientation. The only thing that is necessary is to change are your acts. As I say all the time, I can't help what makes my dick hard but I can help what I do with my hard dick. Some may not feel this because it really puts one in a position to deny the flesh and what it wants and instead follow the will of God. What I am saying is that as a christian, you have to follow the bible and right now, I know for sure that the bible says we can't sleep with a man(Leviticus 18:22). It really never deals with the attraction. I think that most gay men would find it easier if the attraction were to just be lifted like a blanket and replaced with a healthy hetero appetite but the reality of a life with Christ is that we must suffer. This may mean that the attraction to a man may never go away but it is the responsibility of a person wanting to walk with God to adhere to the bible. This, I know is a slippery slope but until I get deeper in this, this is my surface solution. Sure I feel that my attraction to men is natural but that is no reason for me to act on it. Staying steadfast in the face of my temptation is what builds my character.

can I support this statement scriptural, sure:
Romans 1:24

24
Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

I am sure everyone has had Romans 1 thrown at them but what I noticed when I read is this part. It says "...through the lusts of their own hearts," and this, to me, means that the lust was in them. There was no spirit that turned them on to this lust, it was their own desire that led them to do the things they did. They did not practice self control as the bible urges us to. I am sure if I keep looking I will find more but for right now, I hope that will keep ya.

I think that it would just be absolutely unfair for the devil to be able to plant a spirit on you, and you have no control over it. In my limited research, I have found that most people believe that the only way to have a spirit possess or oppress you is to open a door....willingly. If this is the case, how would I, as a child, open a door to be oppressed by a demon of homosexuality that makes me attracted to the same sex. Wouldn't that be so unfair that before I even had the ability to fight off Satan, he was allowed to run amok in my life and I was helpless. Personally, I don't believe that it works like that. I am convinced that this attraction is natural to ma and the only thing that Satan can hope to do is capitalize on something that is already me.

Seems the church, up until this point, has found it so easy to blame everything on Satan or a spirit. what that actually does is take the person out of the equation and places the blame for their actions on something outside of themselves. Wouldn't that make life so much easier if we did not have to be held accountable for out actions and instead were able to blame them on the devil. It's a cop out, in my opinion.

No comments: