Monday, January 16, 2006

Just a ramble

The battle between God and Satan is taking place everyday. Not in the heavens or underground but instead it happens everyday in our minds. It is won and lost in the way we think. Let's say you are a person with cancer and the doctor has just given you six months to live. With this information, you are now faced with a decision. You can choose to just give up hope and resign yourself to die or, you can take the information that was given and still believe that God is in control no matter what report you receive. The mind where the battle is won and lost.

I have known about this battle in my own mind since I was a child. I can remember reading in the bible and hearing in service about who I was supposed to be and then looking at my life and becoming painfully aware of how far I was from that. I wanted to be that so bad. In those days I thought that the walk with Christ was about being perfect and doing everything right. I now believe that this thinking is very dangerous because Satan(or maybe your own mind...I am still not sure where I stand on this) will capitalize on it and make one feel bad when they don't measure up to the standard they have built in their brain. I am now of the thinking that it is not only about the action of "living right" but about the way one thinks about the action of sin.

It seems to me that a lot of Christians are under the illusion that one day, in this mortal existence, that a person could actually be perfect or without sin. The fact is, there was only one perfect man and he died so that we don't have to be. Now don't take this as me saying that you have a pass to sin. Only an immature Christian would take on that thinking. One who really understands what Christ did for us would steer clear of sin because they love him and not just for the sake of not sinning. What I am saying is that you are going to sin and the thing that separates a Christian from the world is one's thinking about sin.

No comments: