Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Debt

I am convinced that all people who work for any kind of company that collects debts, be it credit card or other, read the same handbook. They all say the same things! First they give you this spill about how you incurred the debt and therefore it is your responsibility to pay it back. Then they start to talk about you,the debtor, maybe wanting a home or a car one day and this blemish on your credit report will keep those things out of your reach. They do their best to get you to see the error of your ways and to start now(right now with a post dated check) the process to getting your life back in order.

In my experience, it seems that most of the people that call you are ready for a fight. It's like all their training is focused on how to handle the belligerent calls and they don't spend much time on the callers that actually want to cooperate. I say this because every time I talk to one of these people, I always agree with whatever they say and most times it seems to throw them off. I think they expect me to curse them out when they tell me how much I owe and when I Agree right down to the penny, they get confused. What I usually do is concede that I do owe the amount that they are asking but at this present time I am unable to do anything about it. That is when it gets interesting.

These people actually suggest that you go to your mom, dad, grandparents, friends, or whoever to get the money to pay them back. They act like they are so concerned with your well being and that the motive behind the call is get your credit together. Actually, what they want you to do is get in debt with somebody else just as long as you pay them back. Kinda crazy if you ask me and I refuse to be apart of it. The lady today actually suggested that I take money out of my 401k plan to pay them back. I informed he that was not an option.

Now this is crazy but have you ever been cursed out by one of these people? I have been cursed out and hung up on. What part of the game is that? Shit is funny to me because that is the role that I should be playing considering you called me to ask for some money. I find it very satisfying when I can get that reaction from one of these people. "Well Mr. Black, we are going to go forward with the collection process and this will show up on your credit report...." That does not hurt me. I always tell them that they have a job to do and if that is the next step I suggest that they take it. Don't hold up the process for me! Report that shit to Equifax.

Ok, now don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of good credit. I am actually in the process of cleaning my stuff up now but I have decided to do it one debtor at a time. There is no way that I can do them all at once so until I get to you on the list, you have to wait. I never tell the callers this because they would never understand. From their point of view, paying them should be the reason I live. One lady even told me that paying this debt was in the same category as paying the rent. Not hardly. Visa cant evict me!

No comments: