Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Carlton Pearson declared a heretic.

I just have a few thoughts to put down on this issue after listening to an interview he did.

Personally, I believe that Bishop Pearson is on the right path with some of the things that he is pushing. I mean, I can clap to the thinking that the bible just may not be all that infallible. I feel guilty even putting that down. I believe that the bible may have some error because it has been written and re written by men. But in saying this, I must also say that I believe that God, in all his infinite wisdom, knew that this would be the case therefore he only holds us to the glimpse of truth that we can gain from the bible. It may not be the whole truth but it is the only truth we know. I am positive that when we finally do see him, we will get the whole story and some of the things that we have held so dear will be put in proper perspective.

One place that Bishop Pearson is going that I cannot follow is this idea of inclusion. I mean, some of what he is saying I can mos def ride with. Stating that Jesus did die for the entire world is a given and I think all followers of Christ have to agree with that. The place that I have to get off the bus with Bishop Pearson is the idea that salvation is yours and all the rewards that come with it even if you don't accept it. Basically he is saying you are saved even if you don't get saved.......by default.

Sounds like a great idea and obviously there are places in the bible that Bishop is using to support his theory. I mean he is not a dummy and would not just come up with this unless he truly believed that this is what God was telling him and he hadscriptual support. The only problem is that there are a lot of areas that will also cast down his ideas and simply pointing out that the bible is not totally true when opposition comes will not really work in this situation. I mean, doing that will put you in an odd position and then you have to wonder, where do you draw the line? Who is the person that decides what is true in the bible and what is made up? Slippery slope.

Seems to me that both sides in this situation are just on extreme opposite ends. It would be nice for people to try to meet somewhere in the middle. It almost made me cry to hear about how Bishop Pearson is now opening his church to the gays and lesbians while on the other end, we are still have a hard time finding a place in the church without denying who we really are(I'll talk about this on a later date).

No comments: